2018-19 Cost Structure
With tryouts approaching, we are frequently asked about the cost of playing for our club. In an effort to be open, communicative and transparent, we will summarize the cost of playing for A5 here on our website. We cover this information in the Informational meetings in detail,
When reviewing the cost of playing for our club it is important to remember several things:
- It has never been a goal of ours for A5 to be the low-cost service provider. Certainly there are cheaper alternatives available if cost is your only consideration.
- Since we are a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, every nickel that comes in to our club is deployed to the benefit of our members. We have no profit motive.
- As the #3 ranked volleyball club in the United States for 2018, as well as the #2 club over the past 5 years in aggregate, we feel that A5’s true competitive market is among the other elite clubs throughout the nation. Accordingly, we build our tournament schedule and team budgets with those competitive parameters in mind.
- That said; we know that it is expensive to play club volleyball. It is important for us to aggressively control costs wherever possible, and to remain cognizant of how the cost of playing for A5 compares to the cost of playing for other local clubs.
- Lastly, it is important to note that many of A5’s teams train through and compete in the AAU National Championships in June, which is included in the up front team costs presented herein. This includes approximately 8 weeks of additional training (~30%) over teams that end the season at SRVA Regionals. These are: every A5 team aged 15s-17s, as well as the 12-1, 13-1, 13-2, 14-1 and 14-2 teams. A few local clubs have begun to imitate us in this regard; just make sure that you are comparing training seasons of similar length when you compare cost from team to team.
We break our cost into five distinct categories:
- Uniform Cost – unique to every player. Returning players will re-use portions of their Uniform package from year-to-year, paying only for the items they need for the upcoming season.
- Player Fee – the cost to run the club. This category is unique to each age group and - aside from U12’s, which have a different structure - is dependent upon whether the team’s season includes training through and competing in the AAU National Championships in June. 53% of this amount goes to pay our coaches and staff; 27% is for gym space; and the remaining 20% is for things like insurance, USAV/AAU membership fees, legal, marketing, etc.
- Tournament Registration Fees – unique to each team
- Coach travel/lodging/per diem – two coaches per team - unique to each team
- Player travel – hotels for players, player air fare, shuttles/vans, etc. - unique to each team
A5 is the only club in the region that handles and includes player travel (including team flights) in our fees. Therefore, it is important to add back in the personal "not included in the fees" cost of air fare and player lodging when comparing the cost of playing for A5 to the cost of playing for another club. Players traveling to out-of-town tournaments may have to pay for hotels, air fare, etc directly, in addition to the fees paid to the club... at A5, this is handled for you at the club level and included in the specific dues for your team.