Kelly Murphy Inducted Into A5 Hall of Fame
The A5 (Family) Hall of Fame was created to recognize and honor those alumnae whose character is reflective of the club's values; young men and women who are destined to make a difference in the World. It is NOT an award for athletic achievement. Indeed, the sole, immutable athletic requirement is that the inductee must have played for the A5 organization and completed all four years (five in this case) at the collegiate level.
That said, when local volleyball aficionados pose the question, "who are the best volleyball players ever to come out of the state of Georgia?", Kelly Murphy's name would be on every list. She has excelled athletically at every level and her achievements off the court exemplify the values we at the A5 organization work so hard to instill in our athletes. A brief summary of Kelly's achievements::
- led Walton High School to (their first) back-to-back Georgia State Championships
- helped her A5 team break new ground in the South by finishing second in the Open Division of the U17 USA Volleyball National Championship in 2011, and then 9th in the country as an 18 -- the club's highest U18 Open finish at the time.
- As a freshman in college she helped Michigan to their first and only Final Four appearance in 2012.
- Then as an upperclassman, she fought through freak injuries and multiple ankle surgeries to be named a team co-captain for each of her final three years at Michigan
- Kelly is a two-time recipient of the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award and was named to the All Big Ten Academic team every year she was eligible
- As a 5th-year senior she earned her way back onto the court, where she started and played all the way around, leading the Wolverines to several notable upsets in the Big Ten and a Sweet Sixteen finish in the NCAA Championship Tournament.
- She left Ann Arbor with a world-class education -- a Masters Degree in Management and a BS in Biopsychology, Cognition and Neuroscience--prepared to make a difference in the world.
Kelly joins an esteemed group of athletes in the A5 Hall of Fame:
- Parker Henritze, Princeton
- Mary Russell, University of Pennsylvania
- Kelly Spencer, U.S. Air Force Academy
- Mary Chaudoin, Indiana
- Betsy Smith, Florida
- Hannah Lawing, South Carolina
- Mary Ashley Tippins, Georgia Tech
- Courtney Fletcher, Michigan
- Whitney Russell, College of Charleston
- Ceci Mattei, Kennesaw State
- Grace Hoyt, Kennesaw State
- Sandra Lynne Fryhofer, Harvard