2017 -- a Season in RetrospectAugust 7, 2017 -
2017 was another extraordinary season for the A5 Family. We thought a quick review of some of the Club's accomplishments might be in order as we begin to plan for next year.
- We fielded a record 68 indoor teams, including 16 from A5 South, 14 from GA5 and 3 Boys' teams
- Additionally, 51 athletes participated in our (outdoor) Beach program
- This totals to a record 843 athletes
- We qualified 21 teams to participate in the USAV National Championship Tournament -- most in the Country
- We have led the Country in this metric for six of the past seven years.
- Seven of our teams qualified for USAV Nationals in the highest level. We are one of four clubs to accomplish this feat in 2017.
- We have achieved this milestone each of the past three years. Top-ranked TAV is the only other club in the country who can make that statement.
- A5 14 Karen and A5 South 14 Trina enjoyed a spirited rivalry all season, culminating with their meeting in the finals of the Southern Region Championship, the AAU National Championship (Premier Division) and the USA Volleyball National Championship (National Division) -- our first all-A5 finals in a National Championship tournament.
- A5 16 Gabe won the ultra-competitive NIT tournament in Utah, and became the first team in A5 history to win gold medals in the Open Division of all three National Qualifiers in which the team was entered. They went on to finish 5th in the country at USAV Nationals
- One of our alumnae was selected to the USA Women's Junior National Team for the first time in our history. Scroll down for details.
- We're sending a record 58 players from the class of '17 on to play in college. More on that in our Senior Salute below.
We don't summarize these accomplishments to pat ourselves on the back or rest on our laurels, for we know that we can improve in so many ways. Rather, we want our members to know and remember that they are part of something special, and that your Leadership Team is committed to getting better year by year.
Contributed by: Michael Fletcher